Thursday, March 15, 2012

E-Reading Abroad...Meh.

People have always told me that travel reading is where e-readers really shine, and that taking an e-reader with me on a trip would be the ultimate scale-tipper to make me favor the devices. I actually found the opposite to be true.

A) The most boring part of flying is taxiing around and waiting to take off. Once the plane is in the air, I have an unprecedented view of the world to gawk at. But during take-off and landing--when I really want to read--I can't turn the kindle on.

B) Perhaps this is less of an issue for e-ink screens, but I like to spend my away time beachside or poolside underneath that bright orb in the sky that New England sorely lacks. Reading the Kindle Fire in such a setting is less irritating than rubbing sand in your eyes, at least.

C) Speaking of, a book does not care if you get sand on it.

D) The same one-touch-to-purchase-things feature that makes the KFire so convenient (and dangerous!) to have at home makes me extremely paranoid to leave it out in public, even if it I do have it password locked. Not to mention its inherent value. Leaving it with the towel pile while going for a quick swim is the very definition of paranoia.

I still like my Kindle Fire, and it has really turned me on to the idea of tablet computing (a post for another time). But I am still very unconvinced in the e-reader's ultimate convenience for travel reading. One or three substantial paperback books don't take up that much space...and given that Kerry managed to cram ten volumes of manga into her carry-on and briefcase on top of everything else she took to San Diego (including a laptop and an ipad), I'm not convinced space is that much of a concern in the first place. If it is for you, watch this slide-show and thank me later.

tl;dr: Paperback books can be read anytime and anywhere, don't take up that much space, and cost so little that I don't mind if they get destroyed or lost. Yay woot books.

1 comment:

Diana Guess said...

Personally, I love to read... I think I'm a bookworm... hehe :D. Unfortunately, I travel a lot, so I recently bought an e-reader, because it's a great device and I can take it everywhere with me spending my spare time reading my favorite eBooks downloaded from All you can books. A great site on which I've found so many great and interesting titles...just for me.